Saturday 14 November 2009

Film Review: Dog Day Afternoon



Dog Day Afternoon: this is my first time ever seeing this and what a film!!! It's such a freakin pity that Al Pacino can get his finger out of his arse and start making movies like this again!!! The reason i watched it is that i read an article about John Cazale an how there was a documentary bein made on him called "I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale". It's about how he made only 5 films in his life : The Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon, The Godfather: Part II, The Conversation and The Godfather: and all 5 of them were nominated for best picture - not a bad record at all. He's class in this as is Chris Sarandon and Charles Durning but the movie is really Pacino's, he carries every scene with such force that you cannot help but be in awe and the subject matter - my god! - i suppose its a role of a lifetime for an actor but fair play to him for doing such a marvellous job. Cant believ i waited so long to watch this -i thought it was just going to be a stale-ass movie about people trapped in a bank but its so much more thatn that - AND a true story to boot!!! I loved the ATTICA! scene too -manipulating the crowd brilliantly an turning the tide towards them. I bought The Conversation too so that'll complete my Cazale collection but it'll have to do a hellova lot to top this! Sweeeet. 5 /5

4 comments:

  1. Quite right, man I didn't know about that 5 films 5 nominations combo, that's pretty sweet.
    Apparently Meryl Streep was engaged to Cazale when he was shotting the Deer Hunter, and went for the role in the film because he had been diagnosed with cancer. Another Cazale tidbit. PMC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good titbit it was too!

    Love the bit in DDA when Pacino's all 'Is there any country you want to go to?' and Cazale says 'Wyoming'. fuckin great actor.

    I found a link for the film but it might be in spanish http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2XZWQD13. i'll post again if it is sure, either way i cant wait to see the documentary on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore that last comment -its in spanish after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, I was gonna download the thing, but my espanol is not up to scratch I'm afraid. I'll have to wait

    ReplyDelete